baby…does your ear ache? Well, Mommy shares your pain and would like
to take it away. You don’t even understand what is happening to you.
But that is why God gave you a Mommy: I do understand.
Breastfed baby getting ear infections
The sucking during breastfeeding can also cause pain when baby
has an ear infection, which could result in baby crying a lot during
nursing, a breastfed baby may stop nursing when an ear infection sets
Read more on nursing strikes here.
Breastfed babies actually have a reduced risk of ear infection. It is
advised that you breastfeed even more often if possible, this will help
baby deal with the pain and discomfort.
My baby scratches her ear! Baby ear infection is just no fun for
anyone involved, that is why it is important to be equipped with
knowledge and the ability to recognize baby ear infection symptoms so as
to come in at the right time with the right remedy. Thus, you may
circumvent the infection altogether or shorten the duration.
These are the chief baby signs of ear infection:
1. A change in baby’s mood. Is your usually cheery baby suddenly
grumpy and irritable? If the answer is yes, this should immediately
alert you to the fact that there could be an ear infection brewing.
2. If baby looks unusually flushed, you must surely take note.
Feel the forehead and put baby’s palm against your cheek. If they feel
unusually hot, you should be fishing out that thermometer right about
now. A fever is a good indicator that there could be an inner ear
3. If baby has just had a cold or infected sinuses, you should be
extra watchful as an ear infection often follows hot on the heels of
one of these.
4. If baby is fussing and you cannot explain why, then it could be a strong sign of ear infection.
5. Has baby’s appetite altered? Has the amount of intake gone
down? This is also a certain sign that an infection could be coming on.
6. If your baby has developed an interest in his ears all of a
sudden, pulling, tugging, or scratching, it could very well be much more
than curiosity. Particularly note if he seems frustrated.
7. The bug that causes ear infection can also cause a bad stomach or vomiting by affecting the gastrointestinal tract.
8. Is baby pulling away from the bottle or breast after a few
sips? This could be because of an ear infection which makes chewing and
9. If there is an unpleasant smell being emitted by the ear, that’s a huge clue.
10. A white or yellow secretion from the ear is a sure sign of infection and/or a small hole in the eardrum.
11. If your baby is having trouble sleeping, it could show that all is not well in inner ear land.
12. Ear infection baby stopped walkin! Your toddler may seem to
stop walking for a while due to the ear infection causing an imbalance
Prevention is better than cure. So use the ounce- of-
preparation approach and give your little one the best baby ear
It will serve you very well to prevent baby ear infection rather
than trying to remedy it after it appears. Why put junior through the
Natural treatment baby ear infection...
Here are preventive measures that will ensure your baby’s ears stay healthy:
1. Yes, we know bath times are challenging enough without having
to bother about keeping water out of your little one’s ears: but please
do it. It is all about positioning baby and using a mug to control
where the water goes. You can do it: you are strong, able Mommy! You
could also use a soft shower cap pulled over baby’s ears.
2. If you are one of those athletic Mums who make the others
jealous with their boundless energy and take their little ones swimming,
please use soft ear plugs on baby: don’t want that pool water getting
in. Don’t push them in too deep.
3. If you are applying creams and sunscreen to baby, yes, do so on the outer ear and beware of any getting inside.
4. Reduce pacifier use. It is said that babies who use pacifiers are more prone to ear infection.
5. Use a hat on baby for your strolls outside. Make sure the
ears are covered so an elastic band is a good thing. This will protect
the ears from debris or from environmental elements.
6. Natural remedy baby ear infection:
~ If your baby’s ears are not leaking liquid or pus, then you can use some warm olive oil...this is soothing.
~ Also as mentioned above, breast milk can be put inside the ear, it is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory.
7. Don’t be too much of a keen ear cleaner! So, you see some wax
peeking out where it shouldn’t be? Yes, it might gross you out, but
wax is good stuff, it is what protects your baby’s ears. Never clean
inside the ear. Just outside the canal is plenty.
Most of all, know this, a baby ear infection is nothing to fear: what
you fear is what will come to you. So think in terms of insurance and
protection and you can soon be bragging to all the mums in the play
area, about how junior has the healthiest ears ever!
Run all the data against your gut instinct but, please, don’t be too paranoid. Relax, and so will baby.