- Touch benefits like bonding between parents and child.
- Improves self-esteem, body image and social functioning.
- Relaxing for parents too (good way for dad to bond with Baby).
- Helps your baby sleep more soundly and for longer periods of time.
With Baby oil massage, it’s best to use oil that is natural and not scented for the first couple of weeks. Remember that your baby will put his/her hands in the mouth, so use natural oils, such as olive oil, baby oil, pure sweet almond oil or sesame seed oil.
Baby massage oil that is mineral based may be good at waterproofing, but may clog the pores.
After a few months, you can introduce different scented oils that can be stimulating to your baby's olfactory system.
Look For the Following Essential Oils That Contain:
The following essential oils should be added to your carrier oils mentioned above. Only a few drops of the following are added to the carrier oils:
- Mandarin essential oil, which is a baby calming massage oil. It can help with baby’s moods and helps your infant sleep peacefully.
- Chamomile essential oil, calms skin rashes and any skin irritation. This oil also creates a sense of tranquillity.
- Neroli oil increases circulation throughout the body and reduces fear and worry.
Massage Techniques and Massage Strokes:
- Especially helpful for babies with colic symptoms: Rub in a circular clockwise direction. Babies with
colic usually benefit from having their legs and tummies rubbed.
- Wringing motions are extra stimulating and they bring blood to the surface of the skin.
- Milking or effleurage movements have a more calming relaxing effect.
- Do not overtire your baby. Short sessions of massage go a long way.
- For the best baby massage, keep the level of noise to a minimum.
- Try different pressures, speed of stroke and number of strokes.
Massage time for baby is great for after bath time and before bedtime
to help him/her feel relaxed, to soothe and calm for a better night's
rest. If your baby becomes too excited during a massage, move the
massage sessions to daytime.