Moms should remember that weaning from breastfeeding needs to be done
gradually to make it an easier process for baby (emotionally) and also
it will keep mom safe from
Tips on changing over from breast to bottle feeding (partially or completely)
- Babies that are introduced to bottles earlier on, will take an
artificial nipple easier, but this should only be done after your breast
milk supply is fully established (usually after four to six weeks)
- Breastfeeds can be replaced one by one gradually. Two to three
feedings skipped per week in the beginning is best if possible.
- Try introducing a cup or spoon before trying the artificial nipples,
even small babies can be taught to do this and you will not need to wean
from the bottle again later…
read more on alternative feeding methods.
- Decrease baby’s emotional need to breastfeed by replacing the time
spend breastfeeding with fun things done together like reading or
- Offer the bottle to baby first then offer the breast.
How to persuade baby from breastfeeding to bottle feeding
- Put breast milk in the bottle, mom can then later introduce a little
formula mixed with some breast milk and afterward go completely over to
formula or cow milk if baby is over one year of age.
- Put some breast milk on the teat, if baby tastes the breast milk he might want to drink more.
- Feed baby before he becomes too hungry…extreme hunger would just aggravate him further.
- Get somebody else to feed baby. This is because baby associates mom
with the breast. Mom must keep out of the vicinity while baby is
feeding, babies can smell breast milk.
- Let baby play with the bottle and become familiar with it, he might
start sucking it on his own, helping with the transitioning from breast
- Try introducing the bottle only during times when baby is fresh and relaxed and not looking to comfort feed.
- Try different ways and positions ~ You could try mimic breastfeeding
or try something completely different like letting baby sit and drink.
- Try baby with different types of teats (artificial nipples) also with different flows (fast or slow releasing teats)
- Heat the teat before offering it to baby (pour some hot water over it)