A breastfeeding headache is actually more common than you would think. There are ways to rectify, prevent and/or at least make it a bit more bearable.
If you suffer from constant migraine headaches, you should see your doctor. Let your doc know that you are breastfeeding.
- Stress and noise.
- Discontinued use of medications.
- Weaning too rapidly.
- PPD (depression) can cause a nursing headache.
- Blood pressure problems.
- Sleep deprivation.
- Hormonal changes (discussed below).
* Estrogen and headaches: Estrogen is the hormone that can affect Mom more when:
~ She has her monthly period.
~ She is taking an oral contraceptive pill.
~ She has a lower level of estrogen after childbirth.
~ She is on hormone replacement therapy.
* Oxytocin headache: The release of the hormone Oxytocin, can also trigger a headache. This hormone is released during the let down of milk and can also cause nausea during breastfeeding.
This type of lactation headache will usually subside after a few minutes of breastfeeding.
* Plasma vasopressin is a hormone that is released during breastfeeding, which narrows the blood vessels, therefore, causing a headache.
- Relaxation: Make sure you are relaxed while breastfeeding.
- Hydrate: Drink at least 2L of water daily.
- Avoid drinking coffee, as this will dehydrate you.
- Eat well: Breastfeeding diet guidelines.
- Massage therapy has been proven to help for headaches.
- What can I take for a headache while breastfeeding? If the above natural methods don’t work, you can take Paracetamol as a painkiller, which is safe to take, if breastfeeding.
You are doing what is best for you and Baby, by continuing to breastfeed.
Read more about the benefits of breastfeeding.
Arms Reach Co-sleeper...
* 360 View of baby.
* Convenient storage basket.
* Includes mattress fitted sheet strap and plate.
* Wheels for mobility
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Site by BFeeding Mamma, Tracy Behr, Studying through Child birth international (CBC, CBD), Author and Mommy of two.