It’s either breastfeeding in public, being home-bound or being forced to use bottles, why should moms be punished for doing what’s best for her children? Things are made so difficult for moms when they are told that they cannot breastfeed in public places as your milk needs to be drained at two hour intervals to prevent mastitis and low milk supply.
It’s a real shame that laws need to be implemented in order for our moms to breastfeed in the public. Women are being harassed and told to leave public places because of breast feeding.
Most people hide their children from breastfeeding mothers…what is that suppose to say to your child? That it’s natural or that it’s disgusting, because she is showing her breasts in public?
Public breastfeeding taboo originates from the sexual associations attached to breasts. People against breastfeeding in public are mostly unaware of what they are doing, that’s why we need to start making it a normal part of life.
The breastfeeding public are helping make breastfeeding a norm. If more moms breastfed in public it would help men and women think differently. You will be making it easier for other moms and also start training those men and boys into the awareness of what real breasts are for. Moms have to stop feeling as if they are going to be “caught breastfeeding in public”
‘Our society is desperately in need of mothers nursing their babies in public openly. We also need books and TV programs featuring breastfeeding mothers. Our children need breastfeeding dolls, not bottle-feeding ones. If a girl grows up thinking that breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a baby, she will be much more likely to try it, and knowing that a lot of women can do it with no difficulty, she'll have more confidence in herself as a nursing mother.’ Bottle-feeding culture at Childfun.com
Is breastfeeding in public illegal ?
Many states have laws protecting breastfeeding mothers, some do not, but breastfeeding in public is not illegal in any of the states!
Summary of 50 states breastfeeding laws “breastfeeding in public statistics”
If you have been discriminated against you can contact FirstRight , they take reports of breastfeeding discrimination very seriously
Most countries are so accustomed to their women breastfeeding that it doesn’t bother them anymore, but the Western culture is unfortunately different. Read what other people have to say about nursing in public in their own countries
Being discreet while breast feeding in public
- Mom can place a blanket over her baby and her breast or even wear a special top “breastfeeding wear” that covers up what might make other people uncomfortable.
- Nursing privacy drapes “breastfeeding cover” can also be bought and are really convenient as they have a weight on them, so that they do not fall from your shoulder or so that baby cannot pull it down.
- This might get more difficult when baby gets older and sometimes moms will explain to their children that breastfeeding is something that is done at home. This is only if you are more comfortable with breastfeeding at home
Here are some breastfeeding in public tips…
Tips for discreet public breast feeding
- Wear a good nursing bra – One that can be easily opened and closed for discretion
- Get yourself a nursing blanket
- Find a calm place to breastfeed – This will help baby relax and not move his head every two seconds which can also draw attention
- For the new born babies – Slings can be used; they are really convenient as baby is at the breast all the time.
- Practice at home in front of a mirror
- Feed your baby before he gets too hungry, as he will be miserable and draw attention
- Be confident – The more you stress, the more obvious you are going to be
Breastfeed baby in a sling , this is an easy way to cover up where nobody even knows you are breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding clothing - If it’s hot and you don’t want to use a blanket you can always dress with layers and cover baby with a loose shirt.
- It helps when you have someone with you that supports your breastfeeding.
- Find out if the place where you are going has a nursing lounge, most shopping malls have them these days
- Get some tips for breastfeeding in public from other moms who have experience
What are the advantages of breastfeeding in public?
- You don’t need to make any bottles
- You don’t need to clean any bottles
- Your breastmilk is always the right temperature
- You can leave the house whenever you please
- You don't need to worry about your milk running out before the end of your trip
Remember always breastfeed your baby with pride, and don’t feel that you need to hide the fact that you are breastfeeding…do whatever you are comfortable with.
Other pages on "breastfeeding problems" in connection with nursing in public places
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...