Breastfeeding with Large Nipples
Have you ever wondered whether big nipples and breastfeeding can ever go hand-in-hand?
If you have very big nipples, and breastfeeding is something you
are surely going to do, it might be better for you to be well-prepared.
Babies are born with the natural instinct to feed. However for women
with very large nipples, it might be a bit difficult getting the baby to
latch on and feed. Instead of a pleasant experience, what you might
just end up with are sore nipples from breastfeeding.
Most of the time, a mothers nipples will not be big enough to cause any problems while breastfeeding...
So, what are the most common questions about large nipples new mothers have? Let’s look at some of them:
• What are the ways for women with large nipples to breastfeed?
• How to deal with sore nipples from breastfeeding?
• What to do if the infant refuses to drink from your large breasts and nipples?
Big Nipples and Breastfeeding Guidelines
So, what is the right way to do it, even if you think that your extremely large nipples will make it all the tougher? Well, foremost, you need to know, your baby has nature’s gift of knowing how to feed, unless baby has sucking problems, which could make things a little more complicated.
Read more here if you think baby may have some suck issues.
• Hold your breast with a U hold (thumb or forefinger on top of breast and other fingers under your breast, as in picture) Try not to touch the areola (dark part around your nipple) This works especially well for women with heavy breasts and large puffy nipples.
• Lying down while breastfeeding can also sometimes help. Many moms with large nipples say they breastfeed the best with a
football hold position
lying down position.
• If you have large nipples, are breastfeeding and sore nipples are an
additional woe, express some milk the moment your baby has finished
feeding. Gently spread this milk all over the areola and nipple. You will find that
after breastfeeding, cracked nipples get immediate relief from this.
• Sore nipples, that are due to breastfeeding can be remedied the best with pure lanolin cream.
Read more on this here.
• For women with very large nipples or large long nipples, it often
helps to squish the nipple down, which will make it easy for the baby to
• If all else fails, some moms have found that using a
nipple shield, can help a baby latch on easier.
• For those moms who feel like they want to stop breastfeeding, you can continue to give your baby breast milk by
• Moms with large breasts can
read more tips here on breastfeeding.
Most importantly, for women with big nipples and breastfeeding
issues, patience and knowledge are always the best answer. Get your
facts in place, seek advice from experienced women and you might just be
headed for a wonderful breastfeeding experience ahead!
By jasmin Pannu
Top of breastfeeding with large nipples page
Leave a comment
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Site by BFeeding Mamma, Tracy Behr, Studying through Child birth international (CBC, CBD), Author and Mommy of two.