Extended breastfeeding is: nursing a child after his/her first birthday.
One thing is for sure, mothers who breastfeed longer, are very passionate
about breastfeeding and know all the benefits involved.
There are many health benefits for you and your child while breastfeeding. Some conditions and diseases that breastfeeding prevents: diabetes, heart disease, multiple sclerosis and cancer are just a few.
Benefits of Extended Breastfeeding
● A baby who breastfeeds, will have a lower chance of getting ill.
● Breast milk has a lot of nutrition. As your child get older the breast milk will change to satisfy your child’s changing nutritional needs.
● The act of breastfeeding, releases hormones that help your uterus shrink back to its pre-baby size.
Extended Breastfeeding Facts
1. Human breast milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for more than one year, has significantly increased fat and energy content.
2. Breast milk continues to provide nutrients well beyond the child’s first year of life, especially protein, fat and most vitamins.
3. When breastfeeding older kids, 32% of the child’s energy intake comes from breast milk, because it contains vitamin A.
Decide about Extended Breastfeeding
Deciding if extended breastfeeding works for you is a hot topic, because of the mixed comments about it. One of the biggest hurdles for a mother who is breastfeeding older children, is the criticism from others. You must be comfortable in the choice you make for you and your child.