- If Mom’s
nipples are sore
and she wants to take a few hours break from breastfeeding.
- To stimulate milk production.
Hand Expressing Videos
Positioning when Expressing Breast Milk by Hand
Put your thumb above your nipple and two fingers below the nipple, your hand should form a C. Shown in videos too.
How to Express Breast Milk with the Marmet Technique
- Push your fingers into your chest, if you have large breasts, you should first lift them and then press inward. Roll your thumb and finger forward towards the nipple to drain the milk reservoirs. Repeat this process a few times. Use both hands on each breast so that alternative reservoirs are emptied.
- Do not squeeze your breast and do not pull your nipple too hard, this can cause damage. It should not hurt.
Improving Milk Ejection Reflex for Hand Expressing Milk
- Massage your breasts, move your fingers in circular motions around the breast until you reach the areola.
- Shaking your breasts while leaning forward can also get the milk ejection reflex going.
- Taking a warm bath will help release the milk easier, you can use a warm wet facecloth for the same purpose too.
For the best hand expression results, moms will need to improve ejection
reflex as explained above, then use the expression technique and then
repeat the process again. This whole process should take about 30
minutes to complete. To keep a good supply on exclusive expressing, it
is recommended to express at least eight times daily.
When Manually Expressing Breast Milk
- Always use a sterilized container for the expressed milk.
- Wash your hands before expressing.
- Express while you are relaxed and have plenty of time.