Hands Free Pumping Bra
Want to make your own hands free pumping bra?
free pumping gives mom a little freedom while allowing working moms the
freedom to pump whenever they need to,
even while sitting at their
desks at work or pumping in the car on the way to work.
You can make your own pumping bras, or spend some extra money and buy a hands free bra…it’s up to you.
There are two ways you can do this...
You can either...
1. Make your own pumping bra by cutting holes
A sports bra usually works best for this. Put a mark on the spot where
your nipple is, then cut a vertical hole on that spot. The hole should
be just big enough to squeeze the breast pump horn through.
you can sow around the edges of the hole, just to ensure that it
doesn’t tear further than you want it to. And there you have made your
own hands free pumping bra.
2. Make your own hands free pumping system “Bra for Pumping” (taken with permission from Kellymom.com)…
Begin with two elastic ponytail holder bands. (Rubber bands may be
substituted, but are not quite as sturdy and may break with repeated
use.) The ponytail holders are inexpensive and can be purchased at most
- Overlap edges.
Loop the two elastic bands together to form a "figure-eight".
- Pull knot tight.
- Meet "Mimi", my model for this demonstration. If Mimi looks a little
sad, it's because she's made of brown paper packaging tape. She's my
home-made dressmakers' dummy, formerly used for fitting clothing when
I'm sewing. She's a few years old and a little out of shape after a few
years of sitting down in my basement. She needs a good bra fitter, but
she'll have to do. :-) Please ignore the markings, they indicate
landmarks for sewing purposes.
- Prepare bottle. Then loop one end of the figure-eight band around the funnel.
- Hook the other end of the figure of eight over the clasp on the nursing bra.
- Position pump funnel over breast. The bra can be adjusted up around
the funnel to help support it and the mother's shirt can be positioned
around the top of the funnel, which will also help support the funnel
and bottle in place. As the bottle fills, the weight of the bottle
provides additional stability.
- For bras which fasten in the center or otherwise do not have
compatible clasps to fasten the loop over, it is still possible to use
this system. Before positioning the bottle funnel, loop the figure-eight
piece around the bra strap as shown.
- Wrap one loop over around the bra strap and pull through the other loop.
- Pulling loop through.
- Pull the loops taut.
Now proceed as before, fitting the open loop of the elastic holder around the bottle and positioning the bottle over the breast.
- Bottle in position with center-fastening bra.
- This photo illustrates hands-free pumping using the elastic band
method together with a nursing shirt. The nursing shirt (or any shirt)
when positioned around the funnels, helps hold everything in place.
- All ready to pump. As you can see, this method can be quite discreet,
especially if the mother has a nursing shirt. Any regular top can be
adjusted down around the top of the funnels to give privacy as well.
Note that the photo shows pumping one side only, but the method is
perfectly suited to pumping both sides simultaneously, pumping one side
or even pumping one breast while nursing baby on the other breast.
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with this page on “hands free pumping bra”
- Breast pumping tips
- Breastfeeding and pumping
- Pumping while working
- Exclusive pumping
- Choosing the best breast pump
- Nursing bras
Have your own hands free pumping ideas that you want to share?
Leave a comment
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Site by BFeeding Mamma, Tracy Behr, Studying through Child birth international (CBC, CBD), Author and Mommy of two.
End of Hands Free Pumping Bra Page