Stop Breastfeeding Tips
We hope that on this page “how to stop breastfeeding”, you will find all the information you will need for an easy, stress free weaning process for you and baby!
To all you new mammas out there, I would like to introduce you to a few facts before you look at the information on how to quit breastfeeding:
* First of all, you are all looking for weaning information, for different reasons, in your special circumstances I hope there are some of you who will discover that you don’t need to stop breastfeeding after all.
Breastfeeding under normal circumstances (if mom still wants to breastfeed) does not need to always end at a specific time period. Like for example: Some moms have stopped breastfeeding, when they are under the impression that they need to wean, when baby becomes a certain age or starts to teethe. This is not necessary, as baby can benefit from breastfeeding until any age, and may benefit from breastfeeding even more while teething, this is due to the fact that breast milk actually contains pain relieving substances and comfort to your baby.
You might just be having a hard time breastfeeding, and might just need some good advice and breastfeeding support.
* Please don’t feel alone, there are Moms all over, who are going through something similar to you, feel free to leave your thoughts here, to discuss and find the perfect solution and peace of mind that you need.
When you stop breastfeeding, it can be extremely emotional for you as mother as well, especially if your circumstances are forcing you into this direction.
We hope that reading this page will make the process of weaning and
ending your breastfeeding relationship, just a little bit more pleasant.
Okay, so “how do I stop breastfeeding?”
When to Stop Breastfeeding
In normal circumstances, it is recommended that a baby is exclusively breastfed for at least 6 months.
never need to feel pressurised into quitting breastfeeding, it is
perfectly okay to continue breastfeeding until your baby decides to self
wean from the breast.
When is baby ready to wean?
When he/she starts dropping a few feeds by themselves. Baby led weaning is always recommended.
You do not need to wean baby when:
• The best way to stop breastfeeding, is to wean gradually. This will prevent mastitis. The less you breastfeed, the less milk you will produce.
So in other words, just start skipping feeds slowly
until you completely stop producing breast milk. A rapid stop to
breastfeeding can be emotionally stressful to you and baby.
If you are weaning baby before the age of one, you will need to
supplement with formula. Cow’s milk is not recommended to babies under
the age of 12 months.
• Now that baby is breastfeeding
less, he/she will surely be missing your attention. Be sure to spend
just as much or even more time with baby while weaning.
To get baby to take a different form of milk, it might be a good idea
to let someone else give the supplement to baby (other than Mom).
• Drop the before bed feedings last. This will comfort baby and ensure a longer better nights sleep.
• Other feeding methods such as a sippy cup is always better than introducing an artificial nipple.
• Use pumped breast milk in the beginning transitional days, baby is more likely accept the bottle or sippy cup.
• Do not offer out of your own to breastfeed, rather let baby come to you.
• Try to distract baby with something else.
• Shorten nursing sessions (duration of feeds) if baby is older than 6 months.
Weaning made Easy for Mom
Things NOT to do
• Never try to keep baby from the breast by putting nasty tasting things on the breast.
• Do not bind your breasts to stop milk production.
I wish you all the best on your journey and remember that you are a GREAT MOM!
Share your stopping breastfeeding tips or ask a question on how to quit breastfeeding…
Other pages on breastfeeding problems in connection with this page on how to stop breastfeeding
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
End of how to stop breastfeeding page