The facts on marijuana and breastfeeding
Smoking marijuana breastfeeding risks…
- You should never breastfeed if you are using cocaine, heroin or PCP this can have serious bad side effects on baby and may even cause death.
- Marijuana breast feeding can decrease milk supply by decreasing the hormones prolactin
-Marijuana can cause sedation in baby when taken in large doses.
- Marijuana breastfeeding can delay growth of baby when taken in large amounts. Babies have also shown to be weaker and less willing to eat.
- Marijuana can hamper your ability to look after your baby properly.
- Babies who are exposed to second hand marijuana smoke are at higher risk of SIDS “Sudden Infant Death Syndrome”
- Marijuana has been found to stay in baby’s system for a whole two weeks after a mom has smoked it.
- Street drugs often contain more than what you are paying for and may be laced with other drugs which could harm baby.
- The long term effects of marijuana exposure on baby are not known, but tests done on animals have suggested serious long term effects, including brain damage.
Do the risks of smoking marijuana during breastfeeding outweigh the risks of not breastfeeding?
- If you are going to continue to smoke marijuana while breastfeeding it is definitely better to continue to breastfeed than to stop, if it is only occasional. But if you smoke every day, it would be best to either decided to stop smoking or start formula feeding. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Things you can do to protect baby if you continue to smoke marijuana while breastfeeding…
- Try to cut down on the amount that you smoke.
- Never expose baby to the second hand marijuana smoke.
- If you have to smoke then try smoking after a breastfeeding session so that the drug has time to leave your system before you breastfeed again.
- Alternatively express your breast milk before smoking.
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with this page marijuana and breastfeeding
- Smoking and breastfeeding
- Alcohol and breastfeeding
- The benefits of breastfeeding
- The special benefits of breastfeeding for mom.
Got any breastfeeding marijuana questions? Or do you want to share a thought about smoking weed while breast feeding…
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...