Marijuana and Breastfeeding
The Facts on Marijuana and Breastfeeding
There is so much controversy about breastfeeding and marijuana intake, that we decided to show both views here. Read the evidence and decide for yourself.
Please feel free to leave your thoughts on the matter, in the comment box below...
Against Marijuana Use whilst Breastfeeding...
Smoking marijuana breastfeeding risks…
Marijuana intake can decrease milk supply, by decreasing the hormone Prolactin. Here is an article on all the studies done to determine the effects of Marijuana on Prolactin levels.
- Marijuana can cause sedation in the baby when taken in large doses.
- Marijuana breastfeeding can delay growth of baby when taken in
large amounts. Babies have also shown to be weaker and less willing to
- Marijuana can hamper your ability to look after your baby properly.
Babies who are exposed to second hand marijuana smoke are at
higher risk of SIDS
“Sudden Infant Death Syndrome"
- Marijuana has been found to stay in baby’s system for a whole two weeks after a mom has smoked it.
- Street drugs often contain more than what you are paying for and may be laced with other drugs which could harm baby.
- The long term effects of marijuana exposure on baby are not known, but
tests done on animals have suggested serious long term effects,
including brain damage.
Breastfeeding and Marijuana use. Journal of Toxicology
Do the risks of smoking marijuana during breastfeeding outweigh the risks of not breastfeeding?
- If you are going to continue to smoke marijuana while breastfeeding it is definitely better to continue to breastfeed than to stop, if it is only occasional. But if you smoke every day, it would be best to either stop smoking or start formula feeding. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Things you can do to protect baby if you continue to smoke marijuana while breastfeeding…
- Try to cut down on the amount that you smoke.
- Never expose your baby to the second hand marijuana smoke.
- Try smoking after a breastfeeding session, so that the drug has time to leave your system before you breastfeed again.
- Alternatively express your breast milk before smoking.
For Marijuana Use whilst Breastfeeding...
Research and case studies done...
In this study they found that there was very little impact
up to three years old in those children who's mothers used Marijuana while breastfeeding. Beyond that
age, no impact on IQ. No relationship
of marijuana use to miscarriage, to Apgar
status, to neonatal complications,
physical abnormalities, no impact on
cognitive outcomes. Dreher Recounts Jamaican Study On Cannabis Use in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding. Article found here.
Marijuana therapy in children and other research. Cannabinoids, breast milk and development.
'The long history of cannabis in women’s medicine supports further
therapeutic investigation and application to a large variety of difficult clinical
conditions. Cannabis as a logical medical alternative in obstetrics and
gynecology may yet prove to be, in the words of Robson (1998), a phoenix whose
time it is to rise once more.' Cannabis Treatments
in Obstetrics and Gynecology:
A Historical Review by Ethan Russo.
NB ~ You should never breastfeed if you are using cocaine, heroin or PCP this can have serious bad side effects on baby and may even cause death.
Top of marijuana and breastfeeding page
Got any breastfeeding marijuana questions? Or do you want to share a thought about smoking weed while breast feeding…
Leave a comment
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
What Other Moms Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
smoked once Not rated yet
I use to smoke before getting pregnant to control my anxiety. Obviously through out my pregnancy i didnt dare to use, but went out once and i took s few …
Click here to write your own.