- You should never breastfeed if you are using cocaine, heroin or
PCP this can have serious bad side effects on baby and may even cause
- Marijuana breast feeding can decrease milk supply by decreasing the hormones prolactin
-Marijuana can cause sedation in baby when taken in large doses.
- Marijuana breastfeeding can delay growth of baby when taken in
large amounts. Babies have also shown to be weaker and less willing to
- Marijuana can hamper your ability to look after your baby properly.
- Babies who are exposed to second hand marijuana smoke are at
higher risk of SIDS
“Sudden Infant Death Syndrome”
- Marijuana has been found to stay in baby’s system for a whole two weeks after a mom has smoked it.
- Street drugs often contain more than what you are paying for and may be laced with other drugs which could harm baby.
- The long term effects of marijuana exposure on baby are not known, but
tests done on animals have suggested serious long term effects,
including brain damage.
Do the risks of smoking marijuana during breastfeeding outweigh the risks of not breastfeeding?
- If you are going to continue to smoke marijuana while breastfeeding it
is definitely better to continue to breastfeed than to stop, if it is
only occasional. But if you smoke every day, it would be best to either
decided to stop smoking or start formula feeding. It's better to be safe
Things you can do to protect baby if you continue to smoke marijuana while breastfeeding…
- Try to cut down on the amount that you smoke.
- Never expose baby to the second hand marijuana smoke.
- If you have to smoke then try smoking after a breastfeeding session so
that the drug has time to leave your system before you breastfeed
- Alternatively express your breast milk before smoking.