Concerned about which decongestants are safe while breastfeeding?
All medicine while breastfeeding that is taken, should be taken immediately after a breastfeeding session, so that it has time to leave your system before breastfeeding again. Always check with your doctor before taking any decongestants while breastfeeding.
- Neti pot rinse.
- A cotton ball with eucalyptus oil put under your nose can open the nasal passages.
- Using a humidifier with about 15 drops of essential oils such as balsam or eucalyptus.
- Eating Cayenne pepper in your food, will dilate the blood vessels and help with mucous drainage.
- Fenugreek tea is a natural decongestant and will help increase milk supply.
Other safe decongestant while breastfeeding:
- Muli-symptom medication that treats more than just congestion should be avoided, as they contain more than just one active ingredient.
- Breastfeeding safe medicines nasal decongestant: Over-the-counter nasal decongestants that contain either Oxymetazoline or Pphenylephrine. These are actually preferred over oral medications and are found in miniscule amounts in the breast milk, due to minimal absorption.
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Site by BFeeding Mamma, Tracy Behr, Studying through Child birth international (CBC, CBD), Author and Mommy of two.