Medicine and Breastfeeding
Concerned about which decongestants are safe while breastfeeding?
All medicine while breastfeeding that is taken, should be taken immediately after a breastfeeding session, so that it has time to leave your system before breastfeeding again. Always check with your doctor before taking any decongestants while breastfeeding.
Safe Decongestant Medication and Breast Feeding
The Best Decongestant Medicine while Breastfeeding
- Saline nasal spray.
- Neti pot rinse.
- A cotton ball with eucalyptus oil put under your nose can open the nasal passages.
- Using a humidifier with about 15 drops of essential oils such as balsam or eucalyptus.
- Eating Cayenne pepper in your food, will dilate the blood vessels and help with mucous drainage.
- Fenugreek tea is a natural decongestant and will help increase milk supply.
Warning on medication and breastfeeding:
As with any medicine while breastfeeding, it is always best to keep an eye
on your baby for signs of drowsiness, fussiness, allergic reactions or any
change in eating habits.
Factors that influence drugs found in breast milk
Other safe decongestant while breastfeeding:
- Antihistamines and breastfeeding: Allegra, Claritin, Seldane and Actidil are safe to be taken by breastfeeding mothers and has no effect on lactation. Benadryl is safe in moderation, but a mother should check her baby for signs of drowsiness when taking any antihistamines while breastfeeding.
- Muli-symptom medication that treats more than just congestion should be avoided, as they contain more than just one active ingredient.
- Breastfeeding safe medicines nasal decongestant: Over-the-counter nasal decongestants that contain either Oxymetazoline or Pphenylephrine. These are actually preferred over oral medications and are found in miniscule amounts in the breast milk, due to minimal absorption.
Other pages on breastfeeding problems in connection with medicine while breastfeeding
- Social drugs and breastfeeding
Leave a comment
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Site by BFeeding Mamma, Tracy Behr. Currently studying through Child birth International (CBC, CBD). Also an accomplished author and Mommy of two.