NOT ENOUGH MILK!
I have a 3 month old and have been very depressed about not being able to breastfeed. I didn't produce much milk. I have done a lot of study hoping for more success with my next child and think that it may have been a combination of reasons for my low supply
- My son was not latched on until after 2 hours of him being born
- When he started crying 3-4 hours later, the well meaning midwife took him away from me so I could get a good nights sleep and I did not feed him again until they brought him back the next morning.
- The nurse watched me feed for the 2nd time and after it, I had a blister on my nipple. She said it looked like he was latched properly but I later saw an LC and it turns out he was not.
- I went home and the pain became excruciating. I could not put him to the breast and he was screaming to be fed. I rang the hospital as it was 11pm and they said they were busy with their own patients. I just left there!
- I went to emergency not knowing what to do and they put him on formula. I got so upset about him being on formula and was crying uncontrollably. I have since learned that feeding soon after birth and often in the first 48 hours is important for setting up your supply. I also now know that getting so upset can cause adrenalin in the body and this may have shut down my milk making cells just as my milk was starting to come in.
I would love to chat with other mums who are unable to beast feed. Just chatting back and forth may help us get through this time. Please feel free to e-mail [email protected]