Oral thrush in infants, which is more common at about four weeks
of age, may occur more than once. It usually clears by
itself, but there are ways to avoid and/or treat it...
What is Oral Thrush?
A yeast or thrush infection happens when Mom and/or Baby’s natural flora and bacteria have become imbalanced.
Is oral thrush contagious?
A baby with oral thrush, can infect a mother during breastfeeding; this is
why it is so important that Mom and Baby get treatment together, even if
Mom is not showing any signs of thrush. This is to prevent reinfection.
If a mother has a yeast infection on her breasts or nipples, she could also infect her baby.
- If a mother has a vaginal thrush infection during birth, her baby may become infected when he/she passes through the birth canal.
- The use of antibiotics by Mom and/or Baby, can sometimes cause an oral thrush infection in Baby.
- Baby can be infected by Mom, if she has a thrush (yeast infection) on her breasts and/or nipples.
- Premature babies unfortunately have less mature immune systems and are, therefore, more prone to getting a thrush/yeast infection.
- Unhygienic conditions can also cause a thrush infection. Mom should clean Baby’s mouth with a disposable cloth or clean wet finger, instead of keeping a
face cloth, that can grow germs and fungus.
- Oral thrush is more common in babies with diabetes, due to elevated levels of sugar in their bodies.
- Babies with HIV/Aids are more likely to get thrush infections, due to the suppression of their immune systems.
Oral Thrush Babies ~ Treatment
Treatment of oral thrush in Baby
If the oral thrush does not clear by itself, after a week...
- Nystatin Suspension is often used to kill the fungus that
causes thrush. Your doctor will usually prescribe this as an oral treatment
for infant thrush and as a cream for a mother's breasts.
The mother and the baby, both need to be treated, so that they do not pass the thrush to one
another. Using Nystatin will usually clear the oral thrush
infection within two weeks.
- A thrush treatment like Miconazole is a common treatment
that can be bought over the counter without a prescription.
- Oral thrush toddler: A child that is over one year
old, can be given some natural yogurt, to improve good bacteria levels.
Natural treatment for oral thrush in babies
- Coconut oil for thrush: You can put pure, raw virgin coconut
oil on your nipples and inside your baby’s mouth to prevent passing the
infection to one another. This has been found to clear some yeast from the mouth, but should be used in conjunction with other treatments.
- Tea tree oil for thrush: A few drops of tea tree oil can be used for thrush on your baby's bottom to help with a yeast diaper rash infection.
"I was prescribed diflucan and and nystatin cream for my nipples and nothing helped. i've been putting the gentian violet in my baby's mouth once a day and on my nipples once a day and in 2 days....HUGE RELIEF!"
* Excellent treatment for Candidaalbicans and is safe to use inside a baby's mouth.
Leave a comment
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
What Other Moms Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Thrush in my babies mouth Not rated yet Thank you for the great tip of coconut oil to get rid of it. I am going to the store to get some now!!