Breastfeeding and smoking
If you are not going to stop smoking, it doesn’t mean that you should stop breastfeeding. Breastfeeding still has too many benefits that outweigh the negative effects of the cigarette smoke. (Read all the benefits of breastfeeding) It is still better to be smoking and breastfeeding than to smoke and formula feed. Of course it would be best to try and quit, but many moms will find it very hard to make that decision and actually quit. Breastfeeding protects baby against repertory problems that can arise from inhaling secondhand smoke.
Things you can do if you are smoking and breastfeeding
- Try to smoke away from baby, as the secondhand smoke is even more harmful than the smoke that you are taking in.
- You should try decreasing the amount of cigarettes you smoke daily. At least less than 20 cigarettes per day.
- You can smoke an hour before a feeding and not just before a feeding as it takes 95 minutes for half of the nicotine to be eliminated from your system.
- Breastfeeding while smoking should be avoided completely, try smoking after a feeding and away from baby
- Smoke outside your home or ventilate your home frequently
What are the risks of smoking and breast feeding?
- Smoking while breastfeeding can reduce your breast milk supply
- Baby may have symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, colic (abdominal cramps) and diarrhea.
- Smoking and breastfeeding can inhibit milk-let down
- Smoking is linked to early weaning
- Iodine deficiency which can cause a thyroid infection
- Smoking and breastfeeding can develop sleeping problems in baby
- Baby’s ability to absorb certain vitamins and minerals are compromised
What are dangers smoking while baby is around?
- Bronchitis, Pneumonia, Increased chance of SIDS, Ear infections, Children are more likely to smoke one day, Doubles your child’s risk of lung cancer, Stunted and delayed development, Sinus infections
What if you want to quit smoking?
- First you need to make that decision, are you really prepared to stop?
Here is an online program you can check out that help people that want to quit smoking
Quit Smoking Today ~ The Quit Smoking Today program is without doubt the easiest way available to kick those evil cancer sticks out of your life for good. It eradicates the usual problems that are associated with quitting smoking such as cravings, short temper, hunger and weight gain. Quit Smoking Today is so successful because it overcomes your desire to light up.
Other ways of quitting
- Nicotine patches used after feedings
- Nicotine gums and lozenges used after feedings
Smoking and breastfeeding
Never smoke and use nicotine patches at the same time if you are breastfeeding as the nicotine patches contain “nicotine” too!
“smoking marijuana and breastfeeding mothering”
Smoking marijuana while breastfeeding or smoking pot while breastfeeding?
- Marijuana also called “pot”, “weed” and “cannabis” is the most commonly used illegal drug used today.
- Mothers who use cocaine, heroine or PCP should not breastfeed as baby can have serious side-effects and even die.
- Moms that cannot quit smoking marijuana can continue to breastfeed as long as they do not expose baby to the secondhand smoke.
Risks of smoking marijuana and breastfeeding “smoking weed while breastfeeding”
- When breast feeding smoking marijuana can cause low milk production
- Baby will show signs of sedation, weakness and lack of appetite
- High risk of SIDS “cot death”
- One of the biggest marijuana risks are damage to brain cells and genetic material
Breastfeeding or smoking? Smoking is extremely addictive, and quitting is not easy. However, quitting is most surely one of the greatest gifts you can give to your new baby.
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection to smoking pot and breastfeeding “cannabis breastfeeding”
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
I am breast feeding my 3 month old exclusively and have switched from 4-6 cigs a day to an electronic cig that I use daily to avoid my little one being …
a young mum
I'm a young mum nd I have been smoking 4 3years now my baby is two weeks old nd I'm afraid dat it might affect her health
i have a question
If you pump breast milk and then smoke after and then breastfeed the next day will it be okay?
My friend smoked marijuana one time,she decides to not smoke nomre & she breastfeeds is it bad to still continue breastfeeding?
Concern grandmother Not rated yet
I'm a grandmother to a beautiful grandson who I recently found out that the mother if smoking and breastfeeding. She lies about smoking when it is …
smoking Not rated yet
I'm trying 2 Quit smoking but its very difficult how can I stop