Babies and teething
The bottom front teeth are usually the first to appear, the top two teeth might only appear months afterwards. Is your toddler teething? The back molars appear much later on (at about a year of age). Teething when the molars appear is typically more painful and causes more discomfort that the other teeth.
When do babies start teething?
Between 5 months and a year, is the usual time for the start of teething in infants, but some babies do start earlier. Early teething can be a little more challenging.
How long does teething last?
It can take from between a few weeks to a few months before a teething baby shows a tooth that actually cuts through the gums.
Breastfeeding and teething
If a teething baby is refusing to drink, mom will need to pump her breast milk to keep up the production of her milk supply. Also keep offering the breast to baby and offer the expressed milk in a sippy cup or open cup, so that baby doesn’t need to suck (which is painful sometimes during infant teething)
Another problem experienced is when a teething baby starts biting your nipples during breastfeeding… read about baby biting during breastfeeding. All babies can be taught not to bite.
What are the signs of teething?
- Teething rash ~ This is a rash found on baby’s chin from all the drooling. You can use coconut oil as a barrier cream, which is great for baby’s skin and doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients so it can be used by eczema prone babies too.
- Chewing on everything in sight (including mom sometimes, if she is breastfeeding)
- Waking up at night (plus other changes in sleeping patterns)
- Reflux (spitting up more often)
- Becoming fussy at the breast.
- Ear tugging and eye rubbing
- Congestion or runny nose
- Excessive fussiness
- Excessive drooling
- Swollen, red gums
- Teething fever and diarrhea
- Infant Diaper rash
Teething remedies and teething tips
- Deaden baby’s gums with cold teething rings or a frozen washcloth for chewing on. You can get a baby teething ring specially made for freezing. Breast milk can be frozen into lollies too.
- Homeopathic teething tablets or drops can help a lot.
- If your baby is eating solids already, you can offer a frozen banana.
- Mom or dad can offer a clean finger for baby to chew on to massage the gums (not a good idea if baby’s teeth are already showing) ;-)
- The amber teething necklace has been found to help loads with irritability during teething.
- You can get special baby teething biscuits too. Here is a recipe for baby teething biscuits
- Hylands teething tablets are said to work great
Infants and teething ~ NB ~ Don’t give baby a teething gel before you breastfeed, this will deaden baby’s mouth and cause baby to have difficulty breastfeeding.
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...