Is your toddler teething?
The bottom front teeth are usually the first to appear, the top two teeth might only appear months afterwards.
The back molars appear much later on (at about a year of age). When molars appear, it is typically more painful and causes more discomfort than when the other teeth appear.
Between 5 months and a year, is the usual time of teething in infants, but some babies do start earlier. Early teething may be a little more challenging.
It can take from between a few weeks to a few months before a teething baby shows a tooth that actually cuts through the gums.
If a teething baby is refusing to drink, a mother will need to pump her breast milk to maintain her production of breast milk. She should keep offering the breast to her baby and should offer the expressed milk in a Sippy cup or open cup, so that her baby does not need to suck, which is painful sometimes during infant teething.
Another problem experienced, is when a teething baby starts to bite your nipples during breastfeeding…
All babies can be taught not to bite.
- Teething rash: This is a rash found on a baby’s chin, from all the drooling. You can use coconut oil as a barrier cream, which is great for a baby’s skin and does not contain any harsh ingredients; it can be used by eczema prone babies too.
- Chewing on everything in sight, including Mom sometimes, while she is breastfeeding.
- Waking up at night, plus any other changes in sleeping patterns.
- Reflux (spitting up more often).
- Becoming fussy at the breast.
- Ear tugging and eye rubbing.
- Congestion or a runny nose.
- Excessive drooling.
- Swollen, red gums.
- Teething fever and diarrhea.
- Diaper rash.
- Deaden your baby’s gums with cold teething rings or a frozen washcloth for chewing on. You can get a baby teething ring specially made for freezing. Breast milk can be frozen into lollies too.
- Homeopathic teething tablets or drops can help a lot.
- If your baby is eating solids already, you can offer a frozen banana.
- Mom or Dad can offer a clean finger for Baby to chew on. This can help massage the gums; not a good idea if your baby’s teeth are already showing ;-)
- The amber teething necklace has been found to help with irritability during teething.
- You can get special baby teething biscuits too. Here is a recipe for baby teething biscuits.
- Hylands teething tablets are said to work great.
Infants and teething ~ NB ~ Do not give baby a teething gel before you breastfeed, this will deaden your baby’s mouth and cause your baby to have difficulty breastfeeding.
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Site by BFeeding Mamma, Tracy Behr. Currently studying through Child birth International (CBC, CBD). Also an accomplished author and Mommy of two.