baby…does your earache? Well, Mommy shares your pain and would like
to take it away. You don’t even understand what is happening to you.
But that is why God gave you a Mommy: I do understand.
Breastfed baby getting ear infections
The sucking during breastfeeding can also cause pain when the baby
has an ear infection, which could result in your baby crying a lot during
nursing. A breastfed baby may stop nursing when an ear infection sets
Read more on nursing strikes here.
Breastfed babies have a reduced risk of ear infection. It is
advised that you breastfeed even more often if possible, this will help your baby deal with the pain and discomfort.
My baby scratches her ear! Baby ear infection is just no fun for
anyone involved, that is why it is essential to be equipped with
knowledge and the ability to recognize the ear infection symptoms to come in at the right time with the proper remedy. Thus, you may
circumvent the infection altogether or shorten the duration.
These are the main signs of ear infection in babies:
1. A change in baby’s mood. Is your usually cheery baby suddenly
grumpy and irritable? If the answer is yes, this should immediately
alert you to the fact that there could be an ear infection brewing.
2. If the baby looks unusually flushed, you must surely take note.
Feel the forehead and put your baby’s palm against your cheek. If he/she feels unusually hot, you should be fishing out that thermometer right about
now. A fever is a good indicator that there could be an inner ear
3. If your baby has just had a cold or sinuses issue, you should be
extra watchful as an ear infection often follows hot on the heels of
one of these.
4. If the baby is fussing and you cannot explain why then it could be a strong sign of ear infection.
5. Has baby’s appetite changed? Has the amount of intake gone
down? This is also a sure sign that an infection could be coming on.
6. If your baby has developed an interest in his ears all of a
sudden; pulling, tugging, or scratching, it could very well be much more
than curiosity. Particularly note if he/she seems frustrated.
7. The bug that causes ear infection can also cause a bad stomach or vomiting by affecting the gastrointestinal tract.
8. Is baby pulling away from the bottle or breast after a few
sips? This could be because of an ear infection, which makes sucking and
9. If there is an unpleasant smell being emitted by the ear, that’s a huge clue.
10. A white or yellow secretion from the ear is a sure sign of infection and/or a small hole in the eardrum.
11. If your baby is having trouble sleeping, it could show that all is not well in inner ear land.
12. My toddler had an ear infection and stopped walking! Your toddler may seem to
stop walking for a while due to the ear infection causing an imbalance
Prevention is better than cure. So use the ounce- of-
preparation approach and give your little one the best baby ear
It will serve you very well to prevent your baby's ear infection rather
than trying to remedy it after it appears. Why put junior through the
Natural treatment for ear infections in babies are discussed below.
Here are preventive measures that will ensure your baby’s ears stay healthy:
1. Yes, we know bath times are challenging enough without having
to bother about keeping water out of your little one’s ears: but please
do it. It is all about positioning your baby and using a mug to control
where the water goes. You
could also use a soft shower cap pulled over baby’s ears.
2. If you are one of those athletic mums who make the others
jealous with their boundless energy and take their little ones swimming,
please use soft earplugs on baby: you don’t want that pool water getting
in. Don’t push them in too deep.
3. If you are applying creams and sunscreen to your baby, yes, do so on the outer ear and beware of any getting inside.
Don’t be too much of a keen ear cleaner! So, you see some wax
peeking out where it shouldn’t be? Yes, it might gross you out, but
wax is good stuff, it is what protects your baby’s ears. Never clean
inside the ear. Just outside the canal is plenty.
Run all the data against your gut instinct but, please, don’t be too paranoid. Relax, and so will baby.