A breastfeeding headache is more common than you would think. There are ways to rectify, prevent and at least make it a bit more bearable.
If you suffer from constant migraine headaches, you should see your
doctor. Let your doc know that you are breastfeeding.
What can Cause a Breastfeeding Headache?
- Stress and noise.
Discontinued use of medications.
Weaning too rapidly.
PPD (depression) can cause a nursing headache.
Blood pressure problems.
- Hormonal changes (discussed below).
When Hormones Cause Breastfeeding Headaches
* Estrogen and headaches: Estrogen is the hormone that can affect a mother more when:
- She has her monthly period.
She is taking an oral contraceptive pill.
She has a lower level of estrogen after childbirth.
She is on hormone replacement therapy.
* Oxytocin headache: The release of the hormone Oxytocin, can also trigger a migraine
. This hormone is released during the let down of milk and can also cause nausea during breastfeeding. This type of lactation headache will usually subside after a few minutes of breastfeeding.
* Plasma vasopressin is a hormone that is released during breastfeeding, which narrows the blood vessels, therefore, causing a headache.
Treatment for Breastfeeding Headaches
You are doing what is best for
you and Baby, by continuing to breastfeed.
benefits of breastfeeding.
The Benefits of Breastfeeding
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Leave an anonymous comment