A breastfeeding headache is more common than you would think. There are ways to rectify, prevent and at least make it a bit more bearable.
If you suffer from constant migraine headaches, you should see your
doctor. Let your doc know that you are breastfeeding.
What can Cause a Breastfeeding Headache?
- Stress and noise.
Discontinued use of medications.
Weaning too rapidly.
PPD (depression) can cause a nursing headache.
Blood pressure problems.
- Hormonal changes (discussed below).
When Hormones Cause Breastfeeding Headaches
* Estrogen and headaches: Estrogen is the hormone that can affect a mother more when:
- She has her monthly period.
She is taking an oral contraceptive pill.
She has a lower level of estrogen after childbirth.
She is on hormone replacement therapy.
* Oxytocin headache: The release of the hormone Oxytocin, can also trigger a migraine
. This hormone is released during the let down of milk and can also cause nausea during breastfeeding. This type of lactation headache will usually subside after a few minutes of breastfeeding.
* Plasma vasopressin is a hormone that is released during breastfeeding, which narrows the blood vessels, therefore, causing a headache.
Treatment for Breastfeeding Headaches
You are doing what is best for
you and Baby, by continuing to breastfeed.
benefits of breastfeeding.
The Benefits of Breastfeeding