Hard breast, little milk lump
(Lake Forest, CA)
"I get plenty of milk from one breast, but minimal from the right side. It is hard and there is a lump also."
Aug 24, 2012
Hard lumps in breast engorged
by: Zelda Behr
"It sounds like you have a plugged milk duct.
Firstly don't stop breastfeeding!!!
When your baby does not drain a breast properly, some of the milk dries up and this creates a blockage.
Your breast may have a hard, red and swollen knob that might feel tender.
Things that can cause this...
* Not giving baby enough time to finish the breast.
* Tight bras.
* Sleeping on your stomach.
Some easy ways to treat this is...
* Breastfeeding and pumping every 2 hours.
* Warm cloth applied to the area.
* Try dangle feeding. This is when you allow your breast to hang while breastfeeding.
* In a warm bath or shower you can try hand expressing.
* If there is a small white blister on your nipple, pierce it with a sterilized needle and let baby drain the duct.
You can take some ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain.
Remember, if the symptoms persist, it could turn into mastitis.
If you start getting flu like symptoms and a fever it means you have mastitis.
If this does not help, consult your doctor as untreated mastitis can cause a breast abscess."