Jewelry for Breastfeeding Mothers
There are quite a few useful items out there, that can make life, for you as a breastfeeding mother, just a little easier. This page is all about nursing necklaces, teething necklaces and breastfeeding bracelets.
What are breastfeeding necklaces?
Most babies like to explore their surroundings while they nurse, a
nursing necklace is worn by the mother and serves as a distraction.
give your baby something to do, instead of moving all over the place or
tugging at your hair and clothing while you are trying to nurse! ;-) Now you can give your baby something
fun to examine, while you breastfeed. These necklaces can be just as
useful for the distracted bottle fed baby.
Where can you get one?
From colorful plastic necklaces to more sophisticated stone or even silver ones, there is a broad range of different styles. Mothers could also make their own nursing necklaces, which could be a fun project with your older children.
What are the benefits of using a nursing necklace?
It stops fidgeting, hair pulling, pinching and even biting.
- It provides visual and tactile stimulation.
- It gets your baby focusing on something to prevent distraction while nursing.
A safe nursing necklace
- NB – Don’t let your baby bite a nursing necklace unless it is specially made for teething.
- Don’t let your baby play with a nursing necklace unsupervised. It’s a choking and strangulation hazard.
- The beads should be strung on a durable cord, ensuring that it doesn’t snap. The nicest ones I’ve seen are made from leather. But that’s a personal preference.
- Do not get/make necklaces with glass beads, as these may break.
Make your own nursing necklace.
- Get some leather lace, and a stone pendant (doughnut shapes are best for baby to hold on to) Make sure the pendant isn’t small enough for the baby to swallow.
- Tie the leather onto the pendant, so that it doesn’t move on the lace.
- Tie a knot at the ends of the leather.
- Try to find a nursing necklace that can be used as a teething necklace too. Make sure that it is specially made to be put into a baby’s mouth. The beads should be non-toxic and put on a secure string. These beads should be designed primarily for chewing on. This type of teething ring necklace should also be suitable for the dishwasher so that it can be sanitized frequently.
Some teething necklaces, such as the “amber teething necklace," are worn by children when teething, but they are not designed to be chewed on, only worn; the stones are believed to have calming properties; they are absorbed via the skin.
What is a nursing bracelet?
A breastfeeding bracelet is used as a reminder to the mother as to which breast was last breastfed from. A mommy bracelet will ensure that the baby doesn’t drink more from one side than the other, which would cause engorgement and pain.
The best brand of breastfeeding reminder bracelet that I know of, are Mothers Minder breastfeeding bracelets, they help new mothers keep track of:
- Their baby's feeding times,
- Which breast last nursed from,
- Nap times,
- The time the last dose of medication was given,
- 3rd-trimester kick counting.
Leave an anonymous comment