Bonding with your
baby is not something that always happens immediately and just as you
would need time to get to know the love of your life, you will need to
get to know and love your baby.
You may not feel any
different, but everyday care-giving will bring you closer to baby, and
before you know it, you will be filled with love and joy when your baby
makes a face or smiles for the first time. Bonding with baby will grow
and increase over time.
Breastfeeding is one of the best ways of bonding with your baby, it
not only provides nutrition, but comfort, nurturing and is also a time
for mom and baby to study one another’s faces. Breastfeeding also
, which is a love hormone that promotes bonding between mom and baby.
The advantages of bonding with your baby
- Bonding with baby can prevent disease
- Bonding can boost immunity against viruses and bacteria
- Bonding can enhance your child's IQ
- Skin on skin contact has been found to help premature babies pick up as much as 50% more weight than others.
Dad should try to participate in labour and the delivery of the baby.
If possible it’s great if he can catch the baby during delivery and cut
- Dads can help with bathing and changing baby.
- Dads can read or sing to baby for sleep times.
- Dad can carry baby in a baby carrier or sling.
Making things easier for bonding with your baby
Mother baby bonding ~ Mom will be spending a lot of time bonding with
baby especially if she is breastfeeding, she will need some help around
the house. Get a helper or get hubby to help as much as possible.
- Having that first baby is the biggest transition and can be very
difficult for a couple to get accustomed to. The only advice I can
personally give is to have patience with one another and let each person
care for baby the way they feel best. Don’t try to force your partner
into doing things your way, let them feel as if are a great mom or
dad…even if they don’t always do things perfectly.
- Take a few weeks off and spend time alone as a family. Take the phone off the hook if you have to!
Things that may stand in the way of bonding with my baby
- When the unexpected happens like problems during birth or emergency c-sections. Babies that are
are also kept away from the parents or kept in an incubator sometimes, limiting the contact and bonding.
- Hormones can have a big impact on bonding.
can numb moms feelings towards baby. It is important that mom continue
to take vitamin and omega oil supplements after the birth. Also,
breastfeeding releases a feel good hormone and has been found to prevent
post partum depression.
- Feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.
You need to try to get as much rest as possible. Also, make sure you
have a well balanced diet.
What is attachment parenting? Learn more about attachment style parenting at
attachment parenting international
and get special attachment parenting products & attachment parenting homework