Breast Care Guide
Breast and nipple care during breastfeeding
This page is our breast care guide with tips on cleaning and
preparing your breasts and nipples for breastfeeding and how you can
avoid cracked and painful nipples during breastfeeding…
Breast care information and nipple care breast feeding tips
- You can care for your breast after breastfeeding by rinsing with clear
water to wash away any saliva, then you can apply some of your own
breast milk on your areola and nipple, after this, you can just allow to
- Avoid wearing clothing that doesn’t allow your breasts to breathe.
Cotton bras are the best while breastfeeding because they air dry
quickly, this keeps germs from growing.
- Change your nursing pads often. Wet pads are the breading place for germs that can cause yeast infections and mastitis.
- Breast care and hygiene ~ Do not use soaps, alcohol or lotions on your
nipple area as this could cause them to dry out and crack. Also, keep
other products like perfume, deodorants or powders away from your nipple
- For nipple care in breastfeeding, it is not necessary to wash your
nipples before every feeding unless you have used special ointments
which are not recommended for baby.
- Wear loose fitted bras, and avoid wearing bras with under wiring as this can cause blocked ducts and mastitis.
Read more on how to prepare for breastfeeding during pregnancy
Breast care tips on how nipple pain can be avoided
latching on correctly.
Most importantly baby should have the whole nipple plus a large amount of your areola far back in his mouth.
- Finding a breastfeeding position that it comfy for you and baby.
Baby’s whole body should be facing moms while breastfeeding, this makes
it easier for baby to breastfeed, therefore reducing nipple pain.
- Do not pull baby off of the breast while he is breastfeeding, use your
finger to break the suction in the corner of his mouth if you need to
- Read more on
how to handle baby biting while breastfeeding.
- Breastfeed baby before he becomes cranky and demanding. If baby is
over hungry he might suck a bit harder than usual, causing nipple pain.
Top of “breast care guide” page
Best breast care health ~ Ointment and breastfeeding cream
- Preferably use
natural breast care products
like olive oil or your own breast milk as a lubricant.
- Breastfeeding preparation ~ do not use products that you need to wash off before baby may breastfeed.
- Lanolin cream is great for treating sore nipples. Lanolin does not need to be washed off before feedings.
Warning signs (when you need to get help)
- If you have a fever or any other flu symptoms
- If you cannot get rid of engorgement or a blocked duct.
Top of “breast care guide” page
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with this “breast care guide”
- How to preparing for breastfeeding during pregnancy
- Read our page on engorged breasts and breastfeeding
- Read our page on plugged ducts (blocked milk ducts)
- Read our page on a bleb (blocked nipple pore)
- Breast nipple care with thrush
- Mastitis breastfeeding care
If you have any tips on breast care for lactating mothers that you would like to share or any breastfeeding questions…
Leave a comment
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...