Breast and nipple care during breastfeeding
This page is our breast care guide with tips on cleaning and preparing your breasts and nipples for breastfeeding and how you can avoid cracked and painful nipples during breastfeeding…
Breast care information and nipple care breast feeding tips
- You can care for your breast after breastfeeding by rinsing with clear water to wash away any saliva, then you can apply some of your own breast milk on your areola and nipple, after this, you can just allow to air dry.
- Avoid wearing clothing that doesn’t allow your breasts to breathe. Cotton bras are the best while breastfeeding because they air dry quickly, this keeps germs from growing.
- Change your nursing pads often. Wet pads are the breading place for germs that can cause yeast infections and mastitis.
- Breast care and hygiene ~ Do not use soaps, alcohol or lotions on your nipple area as this could cause them to dry out and crack. Also, keep other products like perfume, deodorants or powders away from your nipple area.
- For nipple care in breastfeeding, it is not necessary to wash your nipples before every feeding unless you have used special ointments which are not recommended for baby.
- Wear loose fitted bras, and avoid wearing bras with under wiring as this can cause blocked ducts and mastitis.
Breast care tips on how nipple pain can be avoided
- By latching on correctly. Most importantly baby should have the whole nipple plus a large amount of your areola far back in his mouth.
- Finding a breastfeeding position that it comfy for you and baby. Baby’s whole body should be facing moms while breastfeeding, this makes it easier for baby to breastfeed, therefore reducing nipple pain.
- Do not pull baby off of the breast while he is breastfeeding, use your finger to break the suction in the corner of his mouth if you need to stop breastfeeding.
- Read more on how to handle baby biting while breastfeeding.
- Breastfeed baby before he becomes cranky and demanding. If baby is over hungry he might suck a bit harder than usual, causing nipple pain.
Best breast care health ~ Ointment and breastfeeding cream
- Preferably use natural breast care products like olive oil or your own breast milk as a lubricant.
- Breastfeeding preparation ~ do not use products that you need to wash off before baby may breastfeed.
- Lanolin cream is great for treating sore nipples. Lanolin does not need to be washed off before feedings.
Warning signs (when you need to get help)
- If you have a fever or any other flu symptoms
- If you cannot get rid of engorgement or a blocked duct.
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with this “breast care guide”
- How to preparing for breastfeeding during pregnancy
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...