A newborn baby can crawl from the middle of Mom’s chest to her nipple, latch on and suckle all without assistance!
Watch the breast crawl video…
The miracle of childbirth is shown here, it shows just how natural
breastfeeding actually is. This magical video will help moms understand, that they can and their babies can initiate breastfeeding, right from the
time that their baby comes into this world.
The breastcrawl is so natural and instinctive to baby, this is why it
is important to initiate breastfeeding, at least within a half hour, to hour after birth. This early start to breastfeeding, helps promote a
successful breastfeeding relationship.
When a baby has been born without the interference below, it can
be a very special time in the first hour after birth, this is when a baby
is in an alert state.
This time together will help a baby transition smoothly from inside
the womb, to the outside world, where a mother's voice is recognized and
where her baby feels secure and loved.
This is a great bonding time for mom, and improves the release of the hormone Oxytocin, which helps increase bonding and the flow of milk.
What things may Interfere with this Instinctive Behavior?
- Medication, especially when given an epidural. The medication makes a baby sleepy, disorientated and results in a slower, less powerful suck, for up to a week after birth.
- Suctioning can cause problems in Baby’s initial sucking. Most of the time, a baby’s nose and mouth can be wiped with a cloth.
- If Baby is separated from Mom, immediately after birth for any reason.
What are Some of the Benefits of the Breastfeeding Crawl?
- A baby crawling to breast, will cause faster expulsion of the placenta, therefore reducing blood loss.
- Rapid excretion of the maconium, (Baby’s first stool) this will help prevent jaundice.
- It increases the chances of a successful breastfeeding relationship.