A newborn baby can crawl from the middle of Mom’s chest to her nipple, latch on and suckle all without assistance!
Watch the breast crawl video…
The miracle of childbirth is shown here, it shows just how natural breastfeeding actually is. This magical video will help moms understand, that they can and their babies can initiate breastfeeding, right from the time that their baby comes into this world.
The breastcrawl is so natural and instinctive to baby, this is why it is important to initiate breastfeeding, at least within a half hour, to hour after birth. This early start to breastfeeding, helps promote a successful breastfeeding relationship.
When a baby has been born without the interference below, it can be a very special time in the first hour after birth, this is when a baby is in an alert state.
This time together will help a baby transition smoothly from inside the womb, to the outside world, where a mother's voice is recognized and where her baby feels secure and loved.
This is a great bonding time for mom, and improves the release of the hormone Oxytocin, which helps increase bonding and the flow of milk.
- Medication, especially when given an epidural. The medication makes a baby sleepy, disorientated and results in a slower, less powerful suck, for up to a week after birth.
- Suctioning can cause problems in Baby’s initial sucking. Most of the time, a baby’s nose and mouth can be wiped with a cloth.
- If Baby is separated from Mom, immediately after birth for any reason.
- A baby crawling to breast, will cause faster expulsion of the placenta, therefore reducing blood loss.
- Rapid excretion of the maconium, (Baby’s first stool) this will help prevent jaundice.
- It increases the chances of a successful breastfeeding relationship.
- It promotes early bonding between Mom and Baby.
- It promotes the hormones that increase milk supply and help with milk flow.
- Have a natural birth if possible, with as little medication involved as possible.
- Avoid nasal suction if your baby does not have any signs of congestion, and is crying well.
- Weighing, measuring, injections and Baby's first bath can be done after the first breastfeeding session.
- Give your baby at least an hour to accomplish the first feeding.
- Discuss the breast crawl with your doula, midwife or whoever will be involved with the birth.
- If the weather is cooler, Mom and Baby can be covered by a lightweight blanket.
- Do not wipe or wash your breasts before the first breastfeeding session, your body gives off a special smell after birth, that entices your baby to the breast.
- Skin on skin contact with no clothing in-between Mom and Baby is best.
- Stay in the room where you have given birth, until your baby has had the first feed.
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with “breast crawl”
* Playhouse features a skylight, steering wheel, windows and 2 slides for energetic fun.
* Climbing ladder and sure grip hand rails assist young climbers
* Bridge connects to look-out tower with dual windows, rotating steering wheel and slide exit...
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Site by BFeeding Mamma, Tracy Behr, Studying through Child birth international (CBC, CBD), Author and Mommy of two.