Most herbs are acceptable for use during breastfeeding, but one should be cautious about herbs that contain alkaloids.
The nourishing qualities of these plants and herbs are amazing, and have been used for centuries by breastfeeding mothers...
Herbs and breast feeding information
- Oregano, Parsley, Peppermint, menthol and spearmint, Sage (which is actually used for weaning or for healing mastitis), Sorrel, Thyme, Chickweed, Periwinkle and Cocoa. (Not a complete list)
Some herbs that can actually harm Baby during breastfeeding
- Rhubarb root, Evodia, Star anise, Sophora root, Ginseng, Bladderwrack, Angelica Root, Indian Snakeroot, Wormwood, Coltsfoot, Chaparral, Petasites root, Ginkgo, Kava, Valerian, Coptis, Aloe, Senna, Borrage, Licorice, Basil, Ephedra and Rue. (Not a complete list)
Herbal Teas that are safe to drink for breastfeeding mothers
(Celestial Seasonings is a good make, that lists all ingredients)
Avoid the pharmacologically active herbal teas.
- Orange cinnamon, Lemon lift, Raspberry tea, Rose hips - contains a lot of Vitamin C.
- Galactagogues are those herbs that establish and promote the flow of the mother's milk.
- The fenugreek herb: Fenugreek is safe for those who do not have low blood sugar levels. It may cause colic, stomach upset and diarrhoea in some babies. Fenugreek milk produced, can sometimes smell and taste like maple syrup. It may even result in Mom smelling like maple syrup.
- Blessed thistle herb.
– The herb milk thistle should be taken in moderate amounts.
- Fennel: Should be taken in small quantities (Fennel oil should be avoided)
- Raspberry leaf herbs increase milk supply, and are very subtle.
- Goat's rue is great for lactation and is widely used around the world.
- Brewer's yeast.
- Nettle tea.
- Hops flowers.
- Mothers milk tea: Can be taken 4 times daily (Mother milk tea contains fenugreek, fennel and blessed thistle)
- Enchinacea: For colds and flu; to boost your immune system and to heal breast infections.
- Phytolacca Decandra: Helps heal breast infections, mastitis and cracked nipples.
- Calendula cream: For Cracked or bleeding nipples.
- Garlic: Will increase baby’s appetite. (It improves the taste of Mom's milk)
- Olive leaf extract: Can be used as a natural antibiotic, so that you can continue to breastfeed.
- Hops flowers: Has calming properties, but also promotes increased milk production.
Herbal drinks that will revitalize you, and give you strength for breastfeeding
Get together equal quantities (about a handful each) of Nettle leaves (gives you energy), Oatsraw (high in calcium) and Red Raspberry leaves (great for milk supply).
Put them in a jar (1 quart) Fill with boiling water, cover and seep for four hours.
Strain and drink (you can mix with fruit juice to taste)
Weaning or oversupply
- Herb Robert, Red sage, Garden mint and Periwinkle.
Herbs that help heal mastitis
- Cleavers: Keeps the swelling down (40 drops in warm water every three hours).
- Calendula: Drink one cup every four hours, for drainage of lymph fluids.
- Echinacea root: Fights the infection like an antibiotic.
- Prickly ash: Increases your immunity against mastitis.
Herbs during pregnancy that are safe
Red raspberry leaf, Blessed thistle, Fenugreek, Nettle leaf (rich in calcium, magnesium and iron)
Nettle leaf decreases the risk of piles during pregnancy.
- St. John’s wort: Should not be taken in conjunction with any other depression medication.
- Evening primrose oil.
- Blessed thistle. (Will also increase supply)
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with herbs and nursing
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
fennel oil and breastfeeding
I got a new natural toothpaste that had peppermint as one of the flavorings -- even though it was advertised as a cinnamon toothpaste (can't believe I …
Herbs for pain during postpartum
Is tumeric safe to use during postpartun and breastfeeding?
I was given Oregano as an antibacterial solution to a nasty sore throat, slight fever and congestion iny chest. But I am nursing my 5 month old and am …
mom in pain
Where do I find all these herbs?? I have mastitis ive had it for 3 days now, but its been extremely painful. The Dr. prescribed me cephalexin only but …
red clover / indian sage leaf / herbalene
I was wondering if drinking Jason Winters teas are safe during breastfeeding. Most of them contain red clover, indian sage leaf, and herbalene. The one …
raspberry leaf and squaw vine tea
A friend of mine has 3 children and recommended i drink raspberry leaf and squaw vine tea from 6 months to aid birth, what are your thoughts? And is it …
herbal tea and breastfeeding
HOW HARMFUL IS ALOE VERA TEA WHEN BREASTFEEDING? I DRINK 8OZ AT NIGHT BEFORE BED AND IN MORNING BEFORE BREAKFAST SHOULD I STOP? NEED ANSWER ASAP PLEASE …
what a fantastic informative site Not rated yet
Thank you! What a fantastic, informative site :)
Where to Buy Breast Milk Herbs - Increase Supply Not rated yet
For me I purchased from: http://www.breastmilkherbs.com Fenugreek worked wonders after a few days. Hops help me and the baby rest (really strong hops …
Herbs do work Not rated yet
Herbs have worked great for me. At the suggestion of my lactation consultant I started using them to increase my milk supply. She recommended using at …
A lot of essential, fantastic information! Not rated yet
Wow! Is what I can basically say for this amazing write up by whomever wrote this exert I just want to say that this has been a great help and a wonderful …