Want to use your extra frozen breast milk for something useful? Using breast milk can benefit your whole household!
We all know about the great benefits of breast milk for mom and baby and even the environment, but are there other uses of breast milk?
The answer is yes, breast milk can be used to actually cure a few ailments and even help heal certain diseases…it can be taken by baby, you or any other grown-ups for these purposes.
Breast milk contains immunologic agents and other compounds that take action against viruses and parasites. Breast milk is sterile, anti-bacterial and can even help heal wounds and can help people heal faster after organ transplants and other surgeries.
The many alternative uses for breast milk discussed here…
Breast milk and its uses
Other uses for breast milk...
All of the below uses for breast milk or breast milk cures can be used for the whole family…
- Pink eye breast milk (eye infections). You can put a few drops of breast milk into baby’s eyes or any family members who are suffering from pink eye. The breast milk will keep the area clean and will initiate healing. You can do this as often as possible.
- Eye puffiness or redness. Wonderful for removing puffiness and is used just as you would cows milk for the same purpose. Dab on with some cotton wool.
- Opening a stuffy nose. Breast milk is natural and a great alternative to medications which might even make the situation worse. Just squirt a few drops into baby’s nose while he is lying down, then use a bulb to suction the excess out from his nose.
- Sore throats and mouth sores. Swirling some of the breast milk around in the mouth and even gargling with it can help. Even a breastfed baby can be given some breast milk in a cup to rinse out the mouth.
- Eczema and other skin rashes. Breast milk will keep the skin clean and will prevent flare ups. Just apply a layer of breast milk to the area and allow to air dry.
- Dry skin. Using breast milk as a moisturizer.
- Cradle cap. Just apply to baby’s scalp a few times per day. Read more on cradle cap care here.
- Breast milk diaper rash. Using breast milk to treat and prevent normal nappy rash.
- Breast milk ear infections. Squirt a few drops inside the ear for healing and some pain relief. (can be used for infants and grown-ups)
- Insect bites. Rub a small amount on the bite to relieve the itching and promote the healing process.
- Chicken pox. Apply the breast milk on the skin to relieve itching just as you would any other ointment.
- Warts. Apply daily on the wart until it dries up and falls off.
- Treating sore nipples. Putting some breast milk on your nipples can often heal them faster than any over the counter nipple cream. It can also prevent cracking by keeping them supple.
- Immune boost. Older children can be given a glass of breast milk or more everyday to boost their immune systems and keep them from becoming ill.
- Ease cold/flu symptoms. Get over your cold quicker with some liquid gold breast milk. Drink as much as you can.
- Make-up remover. Breast milk can naturally and easily remove eye make-up.
- Skin cleanser. Breast milk will gently cleanse your skin and can prevent acne because of its antibacterial properties.
- Contact lens solution. If you find yourself without saline solution you can always us a few drops of breast milk, it is sterile and has moisturizing properties.
- Chapped, cracked lips. Breast milk can keep your lips moist for quite some time.
- Donating the extra breast milk. By donating your stored breast milk you could be saving a sick or premature baby that needs breast milk.
- Cuts, scratches, scrapes and burns/sunburns. Apply on the open wound to disinfect the area. Allow to air dry.
- Sexual lubricant. Used the same way you would use any other lubricant like KY Jelly etc. (do not use if you think you might have a yeast infection)
- Leg ulcers. Using breast milk for healing.
- Cooking with breast milk. Many moms have started cooking with their own breast milk. It might seem a bit strange but why not replace a cow’s milk with something much more nutritious and healthy. Google “breast milk recipe” and you can find many interesting recipes. Using expressed breast milk in breast milk recipes, just like you would cow’s milk.
Using breast milk in the hospitals
(this is what some donated breast is used for)
- Renal failure, Cardiac problems, Failure to thrive in infants, Feeding intolerances, Bronchi pulmonary dysplasia, Treating infectious diseases, Treating intractable diarrhea, Gastrontentis, Pneumonia, Hemorrhagic Conjunctivitis
- Post surgical healing: Omphaloele, Intestinal Obstruction/bowel fistula, Colostomy Repair
- Chemo patients: Breast milk can help calm their stomachs, help with digestion and strengthen the immune system.
- Burn patients. Breast milk helps heal and protect the skin and prevents infection.
- Organ transplants: The breast milk helps fight any infections and helps boost the immune system.
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with using breast milk
- The benefits of breastfeeding
- The special benefits of breastfeeding for mom
- The importance of colostrum
- Storing and using breast milk
Know of any other “breast milk uses” or ways of using stored breast milk to prevent wastage, share them with us…
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Using Breast Milk for Cradle Cap
After reading this article; I am astounded at the many uses for breast milk beyond the natural intended use. I did not know that you could use breast …
Breast milk healed my leg ulcers
I have had a continuing problem with leg ulcers for about twenty years. Recently I've had a problem with two leg ulcers for about five months and after …
How to store when using it for other things besides food
When using your breastmilk for something daily like as a cleanser dO you just leave it out at room temp or do you put it in the fridge?
Can breast milk be purchased?
Can breast milk be purchased if there is none available to you?
donating breastmilk Not rated yet
I recently tried to donate breast milk and was told over the phone that if I taken fennugreek or consumed mothers milk tea while pumping the milk, they …
TReatment for dry or damaged hair. Awesome shine and softness! Not rated yet
Just add 20 ml or so to any hair cream you would usually use (20ml for the amount you will use at that time). Apply to your hair, comb, use heat if you …
Breast Milk Protect Infections Not rated yet
Breast milk has a constant temperature; it is germ free; it is easily digested; it contains all the vitamins, therefore it provides protection from infections. …
breastmilk on my babies eyes and ears Not rated yet
I occasionally put breastmilk on my babies eyes and inside the ears. It keeps conjunctivitis away, and helps in healing an ear infection. You can also …
baby n breastfeeding Not rated yet
Hello. I am a mom with 4 month pretty baby. it's so wonderful to be a new mom and nurse her. Breastfeeding make me feel so happy and make me think …
sunburns Not rated yet
my breast milk helped to heal a really bad sun burn that was blistering in just a few days