Want to use your extra frozen breast milk for something useful?
The use of breast milk can benefit your whole household!
We all know about the great benefits of breast milk for Mom and Baby, and even the environment, but are there other uses of breast milk?
The answer is yes. Breast milk can be used to cure a few ailments and even help heal certain diseases; it is beneficial for your baby, for you and/or any other grownups, in the following ways:
Using Breast Milk in Breast Milk Lollies / Icy's and even Ice-cream...
Breast milk contains immunological agents and other compounds that
take action against viruses and parasites.
Breast milk is anti-bacterial and can help heal wounds, helping people heal
faster after organ transplants and other surgeries.
The many alternative uses for breast milk discussed here:
Breast Milk and its Uses
Other uses for breast milk.
All of the below uses for breast milk / breast milk cures are beneficial for the whole family:
- Pink eye breast milk treatment: You can put a few
drops of breast milk into your baby’s eyes or any family members who are
suffering from pink eye. The breast milk will keep the area clean and
will initiate healing. You can do this as often as possible.
- Eye puffiness or redness. Wonderful for removing puffiness, and is used just as you would use cow's milk for the same purpose. Dab on with some cotton wool.
- Opening a stuffy nose. Breast milk is natural and a great
alternative to medications which might even make the situation worse.
Just squirt a few drops into your baby’s nose, while he/she is lying down; use a bulb to suction the excess from the nose.
- Sore throats and mouth sores. Swirling some of the breast milk
around in the mouth and even gargling with it can help.
- Eczema and other skin rashes. Breast milk will keep the skin
clean and will prevent flare ups. Just apply a layer of breast milk to
the area and allow to air dry.
- Dry skin. Using breast milk as a moisturizer. You might need to rinse it off afterwards as it can get quite sticky.
- Cradle cap. Just apply to your baby’s scalp, a few times per day.
- Breast milk ear infections treatment. Squirt a few drops inside the ear for healing and pain relief. This can be used in infants and adults.
- Insect bites. Rub a small amount on the bite to relieve the itching and promote the healing process.
- Chicken pox. Apply the breast milk onto the skin to relieve itching, just as you would any other ointment.
- Warts. Apply daily on the wart until it dries up and falls off.
- Treating sore nipples. Applying some breast milk to your nipples will often heal them faster than any over the counter nipple cream. It
can also prevent cracking by keeping them supple. This is not advised for Moms with thrush (yeast infections) on the breasts.
- Immune boost. Older children can be given a glass of breast
milk or more, every day, to boost their immune systems and keep them from
- Ease cold/flu symptoms. Get over your cold quicker with some liquid gold breast milk. Drink as much as you can.
- Make-up remover. Breast milk can naturally and easily remove eye make-up, and will leave your skin nourished and soft.
- Skin cleanser. Breast milk will gently cleanse your skin and can prevent acne, due to its antibacterial properties.
- Contact lens solution. If you find yourself without saline
solution, you can always use a few drops of breast milk. It has wonderful moisturizing properties.
- Chapped, cracked lips. Breast milk can keep your lips moist for quite some time.
- Cuts, scratches, scrapes and burns/sunburns. Apply to the open wound to disinfect the area. Allow to air dry.
- Sexual lubricant. Used the same way you would use any other
lubricant like KY Jelly etc. Do not use if you think you might have a
- Leg ulcers or shingles. Using breast milk for healing. (Testimonials below in comments).
- Cooking with breast milk. Many moms have started cooking with
their own breast milk. It might seem a bit strange, but why not replace a
cow’s milk with something much more nutritious and healthy? Google
“breast milk recipe” and you can find many interesting recipes. Use
expressed breast milk in breast milk recipes, just as you would cow’s
- Breast milk lollies / Icies and breast milk ice-cream. These are especially great for soothing a baby with teething pain.