Why breast massage increases milk supply:
Massaging your breasts will clear the milk ducts and get the milk flowing more freely which will help empty the breasts and therefore trigger higher milk production.
Breast massage is not just for those moms wanting to increase their milk supply, it is also an important area of breast health that is neglected due to picture that society has created about “touching yourself”. Your breasts do not get exercise or stimulation and as a result you will have a fluid build up, which could lead to breast problems.
Benefits of this type of massage:
- Increase in breast circulation
- You can decrease the symptoms of menstrual cramps
- Help with pain from surgery
- Reduce discomfort during pregnancy
- Improve your skin tone
- Increase breast milk production
- It can help for relief of engorgement
- Unblock plugged milk glands
- Massage breasts for relaxation
- Toning of the muscles in your breasts
- Breast firmness (increasing its overall attractiveness)
- Helps for drainage during breastfeeding
- Breast cancer prevention
- Lymphatic drainage is improved which can actually prevent cancer by removing unwanted toxins
- Breast self-examination: Self exam improves awareness of any breast lumps or bumps
- Decreased appearance of scars and stretch marks.
- Natural breast enlargement and enhancement: Some women massage to stimulate breast growth resulting in a larger cup size.
Breast massage tips:
- The best massage technique is to first start pumping the lymph glands in your arm pits, this lymphatic massage will get the blood and toxins flowing.
- Use a lotion while massaging (a natural lotion if you are breastfeeding) Olive oil is really good for this.
- Gentle rubbing and/or squeezing is enough to get the blood flowing. Do not press too hard, you could damage your glandular tissue.
- When you start to feel your breasts warming up, it’s a sign that your breasts have increased blood flow, which is very good.
- These massages should be done daily.
- You can massage your breasts every time you have a bath, and just use some soap for lubrication....this way you won't forget and you will be more relaxed.
Other helpful resources:
- Step by step pictures on how to massage breasts ( self care )
- Breast compression during breastfeeding
Other useful pages on "breastfeeding problems" in connection with breast massaging
- Inspirational breastfeeding stories
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...