Is there a list of foods to avoid while breastfeeding?
Most foods are safe to eat while breastfeeding, Mom only needs to start looking at her diet for culprit foods after she has considered other reasons why baby might be cranky. Check out the breastfeeding a fussy infant page to find out whether you should change your diet or change something else.
If you think that it is definitely the food in your diet causing the discomfort in baby, you can try eliminate one culprit food at a time, until you find the one that might be causing the problems.
The food that you eliminate might take two weeks before it is completely out of your system. If the gassiness, fussiness and crying does not change with specific food elimination, you can rest assured that most babies will usually stop having these types of problems from about three months when their digestive systems start maturing.
The fussiness, if caused through your breast milk, is usually the result of something that was eaten three to six hours ago; this will kind of give you an idea of what could be causing the problem. Your baby’s tolerance to the specific food will change as he gets older and as his system matures. It is best to delay giving the problem food to baby before 12 months, then after this Mom can start giving small amounts of food.
What Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding
Those that every breastfeeding Mom should stay away from.
Foods to Avoid when Breastfeeding
* Shark, Swordfish, Tilefish, King Mackerel are the most important foods to avoid while breastfeeding. (These fish contain a high mercury content)
* Tuna. (No more than one tuna steak or two 170g cans a week)
* All fresh water fish that come from places that are known to be contaminated. Read more on eating fish while breastfeeding
* Stay away from artificial sweeteners like Saccharin.
* Stay away from processed foods; they contain too many additives.
* Alcohol is allowed in small amounts. (Read more on drinking alcohol while breastfeeding )
* The extra fat on meat should be cut off because it absorbs toxins.
* Coffee (limit to two cups a day) or other caffeinated foods and drink. Read more on breastfeeding and caffeine.
Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding
Common Foods That May Cause Baby Discomfort
Avoiding common food allergens (any substance that can cause an allergy) can decrease the risk of your baby developing allergic reactions. Not all foods affect all babies in the same way; every Mom and baby are different. If you or your husband have any allergic reaction to a specific food, then it is best to avoid that particular food whilst breastfeeding.
Common Foods to avoid during Breastfeeding that are found to cause Colic and Fussiness in Baby
|Broccoli||Caffeine||Chocolate||Corn syrup||Eggs||Hot peppers||Peanuts||Soy and tofu||Wheat|
|Brussel sprouts||Cauliflower||Citrus fruits and juices||Cucumber||Food dyes||Iron and other supplements and medication||
Foods to Avoid while Breastfeeding
Signs that you need to start Avoiding certain Foods
Signs that your Breastfed Baby is Allergic to something in your diet
* Extra fussiness.
* Constipation or diarrhea.
* Abdominal bloating and gas.
* Excessive spitting up.
* Colic symptoms.
* Diaper rash.
* Runny nose.
* Eczema. (generic term for inflammatory conditions of the skin; particularly with vesiculation, blistering beneath the skin, in the acute stages)
Read more on how to handle food sensitivities in the breastfed infant.
If you are going to be eliminating something like dairy from your diet, you will need to see a dietitian so that they can help balance your diet; also remember to keep on taking your vitamins. Any deficiency in your diet can lead to your baby becoming malnourished too.
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with this page on foods to avoid while breastfeeding
- Gassy foods to avoid while breastfeeding gas related
- Diet guidelines “foods to eat while nursing”
- Breastfeeding a lactose intolerant baby
- Breastfeeding a fussy baby
Want to ask any question on foods to avoid while nursing or share your own experiences about food to avoid when breastfeeding…
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Sudden Long term Color Change in Poop
My baby girl is 8 weeks old and about 5 days ago her poop suddenly changed from yellow seedy to a dark green sticky consistency. Could this be caused by …
low milk supply and things to avoid
What should I stay away from when I am dealing with low milk supply?
My baby is 3 months is it possible he is allergic to something?
My son is 3 months old and recently we moved countries and he has gotten severe diarehea for a week now. Today he started doing green poo which looked …
Restless at night
Hi,my name is Phumeza I have a 2 weeks and 4 days baby girl she doesn't sleep at night she only sleep a day. She is restless at night and day always cryng. …
Breastfeeding Not rated yet
Is it okay to eat chicken, pork chops, and steaks while breastfeeding?
bumpy road Not rated yet
I found the article to be very helpful! My baby matthew has what I belive is eczema on face from what I think is food allergies. The thing that is …