Some nipple sensitivity is normal in the beginning. Wait it out; it just takes time for your nipples to get accustomed to nursing. In the meantime, using pure lanolin and/or other natural nipple creams should help relieve normal sensitive nipples.
* You can ease the pain of sore nipples, by applying ice wrapped in a soft cloth or by using other cold treatments (cold compress). The Lansinoh breast therapy pack is recommended.
* You can also try an over-the-counter pain reliever such as Ibuprofen, Motrin, and Tylenol, which are all safe to take during breastfeeding.
* Also try rinsing your breast with clean water and salt after every breastfeeding session. This will wash your baby’s saliva off from your nipples so that they do not crack and become sore.
* A mother’s own milk, gently rubbed into the wound, is just as soothing and actually accelerates healing and relieves nipple pain as well!
* Lansinoh Lotion for breast feeding mothers is great for applying just before you breastfeed or even when pumping and prevents sore broken nipples.
* Some moms find that they have to have a nipple shield the first few days, just until their nipples have healed.
Burning pink, itchy nipples are a sign of thrush too. Thrush is a "yeast infection".
Some Moms are suffering from Raynauds phenomenon "blanching of the nipples" without realizing it!
Sometimes this occurs, because your baby wants to use you as a teether. Use any teething remedies you find work the best (for example teething tablets) and unlatch your baby when biting occurs.
Some babies have sucking problems that are due to oral problems like a cleft lip.
Also let your baby know that you are unhappy if bitten! When your baby stops sucking, unlatch your baby with your fingers by putting your finger between the corner of your baby's mouth and your breast, before he/she gets a chance to bite.
If you are latching properly, you will have less chance of getting sore, cracked painful nipples. Read more about proper latching.
Other pages on breastfeeding problems in connection with nipple pain:
- Pacifier use.
- Hand express.
* All natural herbal salve quickly relieves the discomfort of sore, cracked nursing nipples.
* All ingredients are safe for ingestion, so it does not need to be washed off prior to breastfeeding baby.
* Made with 100% certified organic ingredients.
* Nipple Cream also serves as an excellent diaper rash ointment...
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Sore nipples breastfeeding
my 10 month old baby is teething and is biting my nipples and now they are broken open and very sore i have tried to put her on a bottle but she just gags …
i experienced that kind of itchy nipples Not rated yet
Hello how are you? Your information is very impressive because I experienced that kind of nipple itching.. I worried about it, but now i know hehehe...It's …
Site by BFeeding Mamma, Tracy Behr. Currently studying through Child birth International (CBC, CBD). Also an accomplished author and Mommy of two.