Prepare For Breastfeeding
How to prepare for breastfeeding while pregnant
Your body will do most of the work in preparation for breastfeeding;
your nipples become larger, your milk ducts increase and become mature
during pregnancy, but YOU can also do a few things to prepare for a
great breastfeeding relationship.
There are so many breastfeeding problems that can be avoided with just a bit of extra info…
Things that you can do to prepare for breastfeeding
1. Visualize yourself breastfeeding baby. Believe in yourself!
You were perfectly made for this. Make the decision and stick with it.
2. Think of having a natural birth if possible, medical interventions
can cause more problems. Get a doula that knows a lot about
and that can help make the experience as natural as possible. Women
who have c-section births are less likely to breastfeed. The drugs used
during the c-section can really have a toll on breastfeeding in the
beginning. If you do find yourself having a c-section...read more on
breastfeeding after a c-section
3. Know that you need to
breastfeed immediately after birth
or at least 2 hours after birth. Let the doctors and nurses know about your plans beforehand.
4. Find as much info on breastfeeding as possible…Read through our
, or read our recommended
step-by-step e-book on breastfeeding.
The more you know, the more confident you will be.
5. If you are going into hospital, request in
that you don’t want baby given any formula or supplements.
6. During the last six weeks of pregnancy you can start
massaging your breasts
to clear the ducts. Also, use the breast shells (mentioned below) to
draw out your nipples if your nipples are flat or inverted.
Prepare for breastfeeding with flat and inverted nipples
7. The best way to prepare for breastfeeding is to attend a breastfeeding class...ask at your hospital
Things that you will need when getting ready for breastfeeding
1. A good breast pump ~ This is for moms who will need to increase milk supply or store breast milk for later.
Read more on choosing a breast pump here
comfortable nursing bra
for convenience and support. (buy them after 36 of pregnancy so that you don’t get one that’s going to be too small)
3. Get a proper
4. Get some breast shells if you have inverted or flat nipples which can
be used from five months to draw out your nipple in preparation for
5. Set up a nursing station in a quiet room with a comfortable chair and plenty of pillows for support.
Things that you should not do when preparing for breastfeeding
1. Don’t toughen your nipples. Your nipples need to be supple for
breastfeeding, toughening them will just cause them to crack. Wash
your nipples with only water…no soap is needed.
2. Don’t listen to different opinions on what you should do.
Read uncovered breastfeeding myths.
3. Don’t keep formula nearby. Your breasts need stimulation and giving baby a bottle will mean less breast milk production.
Get bedding, clothing, gear, gifts, toys and more!
Other pages on “breastfeeding problems” in connection with breastfeeding preparation
- How does breastfeeding work?
- Breastfeeding step by step guide
- First time breastfeeding moms
- Breastfeeding multiples
- Breastfeeding diet guidelines
- The breast crawl
Leave a comment
Want to share your stories? Ask a question or just say hello...