- For babies with a metabolism that is ineffective.
How to get donated breast milk
- You will need to get a prescription from your doctor
- Donor milk can be picked up at the breastmilk bank or even shipped to you.
Is donor breast milk safe?
- All mothers that want to start donating breast milk will be screened for Hepatitus B and C,
1 & 2, HTLV 1 & 2.
They must also provide evidence of immunity
to rubella, a negative syphilis test and provide their TB and herpes
- The donor milk is usually pasteurized at the milk bank before it is used
- Mother who
too much coffee
or take any illegal drugs are not allowed to be breast milk donors.
How much does it cost?
Some milk banks do charge a small fee for the processing and
transport which can be between $2 – 3 per ounce. Breast milk is also
sometimes covered by medical aids.
Selling breast milk is illegal, breast milk banks should be
dependant on donations and are supposed to be non profit organizations,
but unfortunately you get a few that try to sell breast milk for a
When moms donate their breast milk they should make sure that
they are donating their milk to a non profit organization so that the
milk can be given to babies who are really in need and not just babies
whose mothers can afford it.
Collection and storage
If the breast milk bank is in your area you can usually just pump
the milk, freeze it and somebody from the milk bank will come pick up
Every little bit of milk that a mother can donate counts.