Many mothers think that if they are breastfeeding exclusively, their periods will not return. But the truth is that many Moms will soon start to menstruate - sometimes as early as a few weeks after birth.
Each woman is different and has varying levels of hormones. The period in which lactation suppresses your menstruation and fertility, is called lactational amenorrhea.
Moms may even find that with each pregnancy, they start
menstruating at different times.
“I breastfed my son for 9 months before
my period started, but this time around my baby is only 11 weeks old
and my period has started” by Tammy (Canada)
Can you keep your period away longer while breastfeeding?
- Moms may have premenstrual symptoms without any bleeding. This may be an indication that your period will be returning soon. It's best to start taking
precautions at this stage if you don’t want to fall pregnant.
Other changes that may occur in connection with menstruation while breastfeeding
- Moms may find that their milk supply drops a little, just before a
period starts. This is due to hormonal fluctuations.
- Some extra nipple tenderness is very common in breastfeeding Moms during a period and this is also due to hormonal changes.
- Some babies may drink more or less during a period, as milk might taste a little different.
- Mom may experience some uterine cramping with a period during breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding and Menstruation ~ Getting Pregnant while Breastfeeding
Can you get pregnant while breastfeeding if your period has returned?
Yes, you should consider yourself fertile once your period has
returned. It is also possible to become pregnant before your period
returns, but this is a very rare occurrence.
Breastfeeding and Menstruation ~ Coping with Period Pains
Symptoms during breastfeeding and menstruation
- A combination supplement of 1500 calcium/400 magnesium per day
(always taken together, never separately). This will regulate your
periods, prevent nipple tenderness, keep milk supply up and also prevent
- Evening primrose (1 per day) can be taken to relieve nipple tenderness.